Van Wert County Historical Society
602 N. Washington Street      Van Wert OH 45891      Phone 419 771-9851

Open on Sundays from 2-4:30 p.m. March through November
Special group tours by appointment

    Photo Gallery     Location     Sponsors     About Us     Home

Around the Grounds


The BAND STAND or GAZEBO was originally in front of the Court House in 1875; moved to the park around 1880; moved to the Fairgrounds in 1906; and finally moved to its present location on the Museum grounds in 1992. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. It has been used for weddings, 4th of July musical programs, as well as to just 'sit and rest a spell'.

JAIL CELLS were from the old County Jail which was built in 1891 and demolished in 1989. It was one of only eleven combined jail and sheriff’s residences in Northwest Ohio.

Shown here is a super deluxe cell with toilet and metal bed. They were not all this nice.

The PENN RR CABOOSE #8 was built in 1951. It was moved to the Museum grounds in February 1989 and restored and furnished with many interesting railroad items.

The BENCHES are from the Penn RR Depot which was located behind the Court House. The depot was built in 1893 and demolished in 1984. The last passenger train stopped in Van Wert on April 30, 1971.

The LINCOLN HIGHWAY POSTS are original markers for the first intercontinental highway that ran from Times Square in New York City to Lincoln Park in San Francisco. This 'Main Street of the Nation' ran through Van Wert County and was opened June 10, 1914. The official red-white-blue marker was affixed to the Hotel Marsh building which said: 'Hotel Marsh, Van Wert, Ohio: New York, 719 miles, San Francisco, 2,670 miles.'

This photograph serves as the background for this and other pages of the Van Wert Historical Museum web site.

The BORDEN’S STATUE was formerly located outside the Borden Cheese Factory on Ervin Road. It is a small plaster model of Marie Harel who founded Camembert Cheese in France, and it was given by the citizens of Vimoutiers, France to the employees of Borden’s in appreciation for their help in replacing their statue of Marie Harel which had been destroyed during World War II.

This unusual cistern is made from a large hollow tree trunk. It came from the Cliff Schaadt farm near Convoy.

 

Copyright © 

Van Wert County Historical Society
P.O. Box 621
602 N. Washington Street
Van Wert OH 45891

Phone 419 771-9851

Email